IN THIS ARTICLE
Outlines how to image the nodes and create a cluster on Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd hardware
- Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd hardware installed
- Qumulo USB Key
For additional details on Dell EMC PowerEdge platforms including LED system and drive indicator codes, networking and hardware troubleshooting, reference the Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd Installation and Service Manual.
IMAGE THE NODES
- Shut down the node and connect it to a display, keyboard, and mouse.
- Plug in USB key containing the Qumulo Core Installer.
- Power the node on.
- Immediately tap F11 to enter the boot menu from the blank screen.
- Select your USB stick from the list of devices and hit the Enter/Return key.
- Type DESTROY ALL DATA when prompted to image the node.
- Once this process is complete, the End User License Agreement screen will appear.
- Disconnect the display, keyboard and mouse from the node.
Repeat the steps above for the remaining nodes. Leave the display, keyboard and mouse connected to the last imaged node and follow the instructions below to create a cluster.
CREATE A CLUSTER
Review the End User License Agreement, check the box to agree and click Submit.
1. Setup Cluster
- Name the cluster.
- Select the nodes for the cluster.
- If any nodes are missing, verify that the node is currently running and on the same network
NOTE: The total capacity for the cluster is dynamically updated at the bottom of the page when selecting nodes.
2. Confirm cluster protection level
The recommended 2 or 3 drive protection level will be selected by default based on the cluster size and node type.
If Customize Protection Level is displayed, the option is available to increase the resilience of the system by selecting 3 drive protection. Keep in mind that selecting 3 drive protection will result in less capacity for the cluster.
NOTE: The option for selecting the drive protection level is only available at cluster creation and cannot be changed after the fact.
3. Create a password for your admin account
- Type in the password for your admin account
- Retype the password to confirm.
- Click Create Cluster.
- Complete cluster configuration by confirming the settings for monitoring, networking, and time zone preferences in the right-hand panel of the dashboard.
To access the dashboard in the Qumulo Core UI remotely, use any node's IP address to connect via web browser.
For additional guidance on cluster configuration and getting started, reference the Qumulo Installation FAQ article for more details.
You should now be able to successfully image the nodes and create a cluster on Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd hardware
Like what you see? Share this article with your network!