IN THIS ARTICLE
Outlines how to hide an SMB share from being searched or browsed on the cluster
- Admin privileges required
- Cluster running Qumulo Core
Create a new hidden SMB Share
In the Web UI, hover over Sharing and click SMB Shares from the dropdown
- Click Create Share on the SMB Shares page
- Fill in the following fields when prompted
- Include "$" at the end of the Share name to hide the share at the root of the cluster
Click Save to create the new hidden share and add it to the SMB Shares page.
Hide an existing SMB Share via the UI
You can hide an existing SMB share via the Web UI or the qq command-line. To hide an SMB share via the UI:
- Navigate to the SMB Shares page by hovering over Sharing and selecting SMB Shares
- Click the pencil icon on the share listing
- Add "$" to the end of the share name
- Click Save to hide the share
Once a share is hidden, the entire path will need to be entered to access the share. See the example below:
Hide existing SMB Shares from Unauthorized Users
To hide SMB shares from unauthorized users via the qq command-line, run the following:
qq smb_modify_settings --hide-shares-from-unauthorized-users true
Keep in mind that share listing will omit shares that the requesting user is not authorized to connect to on the cluster. Clients that are not configured for passwordless authentication typically list shares using guest privileges; this option will typically hide all shares from such clients.
You should now be able to successfully hide an SMB share from being searched or browsed on the cluster
Like what you see? Share this article with your network!