IN THIS ARTICLE
Outlines the different upgrade paths available with Qumulo Core
- Cluster running Qumulo Core 2.1.0 and above for incremental upgrades
- Cluster running Qumulo Core 2.9.0 and above for quarterly upgrades
For details on installing the latest release of Qumulo Core, check out the Qumulo Core Upgrades via UI article.
New releases of Qumulo Core are shipped every two weeks so that we can continue to provide value in the form of new features. With this model, we aim to quickly adapt to your needs so that improvements and changes can be made in weeks instead of years. Our upgrade process is incredibly simple and takes one-to-two minutes to complete whether you are installing the new releases as they come or taking the quarterly release upgrade path. Review the details below to determine which upgrade path works best for you and your workflow.
Qumulo Core Upgrades with 2.13.0 and above
With the release of Qumulo Core 2.13.0, all subsequent releases will be a quarterly upgrade source so that you can easily upgrade directly from any incremental version to a later (2.13.X) release, up to and including the next quarterly X.X.0 build. No matter what version past 2.13.0 your cluster is running, you will need to install every quarterly release before proceeding to upgrade to a later version of Qumulo Core.
To help demonstrate what is and is not supported for upgrades with Qumulo Core 2.13.0 and above, we've provided some specific examples below:
- You CAN upgrade from 2.13.3 to 2.14.0 – this path is supported since all versions of Qumulo Core now act as a quarterly release source.
- You CAN upgrade from 2.13.1 to 2.13.5 – this path is supported since you can now skip versions within as long as the jump does not include a quarterly release.
- You CANNOT upgrade from 2.13.5 to 2.14.1 – this path is not supported since you cannot skip a quarterly release (X.X.0). You need to install 2.14.0 before you can upgrade to the 2.14.1 release.
- You CANNOT upgrade from 2.12.4 to 2.13.0 – this path is not supported since the new relaxed upgrade restrictions are only available starting with the 2.13.0 version of Qumulo Core. You need to install 2.12.5 and 2.12.6 before upgrading to the 2.13.0 release.
Qumulo Core Upgrades with 2.12.6 and below
If your cluster is running a version of Qumulo Core between 2.9.0 and 2.12.6, you can choose to install each release as they come (2.9.1, 2.9.2, etc.) every few weeks via the incremental upgrade path OR you can take the quarterly upgrade path and do one upgrade instead of many by installing the quarterly releases (X.X.0 builds) every three months.
If you're happy with your current features and want to drastically decrease the need for maintenance windows by doing a single upgrade to keep your cluster up to date, the quarterly upgrade path is the best route. If you are eager to start using the latest and greatest features and performance improvements, you can take the incremental path and install each version, in order, at a pace that works for you and your environment. Once you install a release past a quarterly X.X.0 build (2.9.0 to 2.9.1 for example), you can not take advantage of the quarterly upgrade path until the next quarterly release unless you are running Qumulo Core 2.13.0 and above (relaxed restrictions outlined above) or if otherwise specified in Qumulo Core's Product Release Notes.
If your cluster is running a version of Qumulo Core below 2.9.0, you will need to install each release of Qumulo Core leading up to the 2.9.0 release. Once your cluster is running version 2.9.0, both the quarterly upgrade path and incremental upgrade path options will be available so that you can choose which route is ideal for your workflow and environment.
IMPORTANT! Back to back upgrades of Qumulo Core may require a wait period between specific releases to allow background processes to run. Before attempting to install multiple releases of Qumulo Core in an extended maintenance window, reach out to the Qumulo Care team for guidance on your upgrade path.
You should now have an overall understanding of the different upgrade paths available with Qumulo Core
Like what you see? Share this article with your network!