IN THIS ARTICLE
Outlines the different upgrade paths available with Qumulo Core
- Cluster running Qumulo Core 2.1.0 and above for incremental upgrades
- Cluster running Qumulo Core 2.9.0 and above for quarterly releases
For details on installing the latest release of Qumulo Core, check out the Qumulo Core Upgrades via UI article.
New releases of Qumulo Core are shipped every two weeks so that we can continue to provide value in the form of new features. With this model, we aim to quickly adapt to customer needs so that improvements and changes can be made in weeks instead of years. Our upgrade process is incredibly simple and takes one-to-two minutes to complete whether you are installing the new releases as they come or taking the quarterly release upgrade path. Review the details below to determine which upgrade path works best for you and your workflow.
Quarterly Release Upgrade Path (2.9.0–2.13.0)
With the release of Qumulo Core 2.9.0 comes the option of a quarterly upgrade path. Once you are running 2.9.0, you have the choice to upgrade to each release as they come (2.9.1, 2.9.2, etc.) OR stay on 2.9.0 until the next quarterly X.X.0 build (2.10.0 in this case) is available. Quarterly releases are ideal for customers that are happy with their current features and are willing to wait 3 months to install the next quarterly release in a single upgrade. It goes without saying that taking the quarterly upgrade path also drastically decreases the need for maintenance windows since it's one upgrade instead of many. Once you install a release past a quarterly X.X.0 build (2.9.0 to 2.9.1 for example), you can not take advantage of the quarterly upgrade path until the next quarterly release unless otherwise specified in Qumulo Core's Product Release Notes or if you are already running Qumulo Core 2.13.0 and above.
Quarterly Release Upgrade Path (2.13.0 and above)
With the release of Qumulo Core 2.13.0, all subsequent releases will now be a quarterly upgrade source. This means that you can upgrade directly from a 2.13.X build to any subsequent build, up to and including the following quarterly (2.14.0). However, this only applies up until the following quarterly version—to upgrade beyond that, you must first upgrade to the quarterly and then upgrade to the version you wish.
Here are some specific examples to help demonstrate what is and is not supported for upgrades:
- You CAN upgrade from 2.13.3 to 2.14.0 – this path is supported since all versions of Qumulo Core now act as a quarterly release source.
- You CAN upgrade from 2.13.1 to 2.13.5 – this path is supported since you can now skip versions within the quarter as long as it’s not a quarterly release.
- You CANNOT upgrade from 2.13.5 to 2.14.1 – this path is not supported since you cannot skip a quarterly release (X.X.0). You need to install 2.14.0 before you can upgrade to the 2.14.1 release.
- You CANNOT upgrade from 2.12.4 to 2.13.0 – this path is not supported since the new relaxed upgrade restrictions are only available starting with the 2.13.0 version of Qumulo Core.
Incremental Upgrade Path
Installing the new version of Qumulo Core every few weeks is a great option for customers eager to start using the latest and greatest features and performance improvements. With this path, customers will install each version, in order, at the pace that they choose based on their environment. Keep in mind that you can always choose the quarterly upgrade path again once you upgrade to a X.X.0 quarterly release build in the future.
You should now have an overall understanding of the different upgrade paths available with Qumulo Core
Like what you see? Share this article with your network!