- Cloud Cluster with Qumulo Core 2.8.6 and above
- One or more unconfigured Qumulo nodes in AWS
- AWS Console access
- Qumulo QQ CLI tool installed from API & Tools in the Web UI
IMPORTANT: If you have configured IP failover for your cloud cluster, you must add additional floating IP's prior to adding another node. Additionally, the new node must have the same IAM role as existing nodes. Reference the Qumulo in AWS: Configure IP Failover article for additional details.
Running a clustered configuration of Qumulo in AWS across 4 or more Qumulo nodes improves performance and increases storage capacity. Larger systems with higher node numbers have increased storage efficiency dependent on the initial number of nodes used to form the cluster. The process of adding a new node to an existing cloud cluster is straightforward using the private IPs of your AWS instance.
NOTE: To successfully add new nodes to an existing Qumulo deployment:
- The Qumulo Core version must match between all nodes. If a new node uses an older version of Qumulo Core than your cluster, the new node must be upgraded before adding it using the steps provided in the Qumulo in AWS: Upgrade an Unconfigured Node article.
- New node settings must match the original instance's Availability Zone, VPC, Subnet, Security Group, Instance Type, SSH key and Tags.
To Add a Node using the Web UI
1. In a browser window, enter https:// followed by the Private IP address included in the Description tab of the instance listing for any node on the existing cluster.
NOTE: Qumulo is configured with a self-signed certificate by default and as a result, your browser displays a "your connection is not private" warning. This is expected behavior. You can install a custom certificate at a later time to avoid the warning.
2. At the warning, select ADVANCED and click Proceed to continue.
2. Login to the Qumulo Core Web UI.
3. Hover over Cluster and select Add Nodes.
4. Enter the IP addresses of the unconfigured nodes. If you are adding multiple nodes, separate the IPs with a comma (as shown below).
5. Click Add Selected Nodes to Cluster.
6. Select Yes to confirm the addition of the selected node(s).
7. A dialog box is displayed as the node(s) are configured and added to the cluster.
Once the new node is configured and added, the cluster Overview page displays a successful confirmation banner at the top. The newly-configured node(s) are displayed in the listing table for the cluster.
NOTE: Existing nodes retain their numbering once the new node is added.
To Add a Node using the QQ CLI
1. SSH into one of the nodes using the IP address or the
2. Run the following command using the private IP addresses (be sure to separate multiple IP addresses with a space) from the node(s) that you're adding to cluster.
qq node_add --node-ips PRIVATE_IP